[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:53:26 EDT 2010

I agree with the OP. The Matlab file exchange is a great tool for developers
to easily publish small (but also larger) pieces of code, and for people to
search for particular code.

As to what features I think such a system should have: It should be a
repository capable of storing thousands of entries, which should be indexed,
and categorized so that users can easily find code they are looking for. A
review system and comments would also be nice.

One `problem´ is that many Python developers that have a great tool, publish
it as an open source project on googlecode for example. Maybe such projects
could be entered in the database as well, with a reference to the googlecode
website for the code itself.

I think it is a great idea, as it would help unite the Python scientific
community. One (maybe the only) disadvantage I found when converting from
Matlab to the Holy Language, is that the Python world seems a bit
fragmented; you have to download Python from www.python.org, then numpy and
scipy from scipy.org, etc. A repository of the likes of the Matlab file
exchange would put at least all non standard code in a single place, which
would be a big advantage.

But who's going to set up and maintain such a big project, and whos going to
pay for the server?

Cheers,
  Almar