[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 21:00:14 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> gist.github.com is *really* slick, but... I'm guessing it wouldn't be
> so easy to reimplement for someone who hasn't just implemented github?
> And it seems to me that the sort of people who use git (i.e., people
> with a substantial investment of time and mental energy in "real
> programming") are already pretty well supported by existing
> infrastructure.

Well, part of the beauty of gist is that you don't have to set up
*any* version control client-side if you don't want to.  gist is
literally copy/paste, finished.  They do the VC for you, and you can
later use it if you want to, and people can fork it if they want to,
but you don't have to.

The reason I'd like that is that it would increase the likelihood that
small snippets would actually get improved over time in a reusable
way, rather than in people's personal collections.

But you're absolutely right in that it's probably a lot of work unless
you've already created something like github, and most certainly not
the first priority at all.  Just a wish :)

Cheers,