[SciPy-User] using an optimizer/solver to solve f(x)=0

jordan jordan.nickerson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:46:49 EST 2011

I'm trying to solve an objective function to get an answer as close to zero as
possible. However, the function is not terribly well behaved and takes 4
parameters as inputs. So far I've been using fmin and returning the absolute
value of the function to try to get close to zero.

I was wondering if there is a better approach? I looked into solvers but it
seems like they only solve for a univariate case, or they expect the function to
return an array of the same dimension as that of the set of parameters.

Thanks
jordan