[SciPy-User] Python and Eclipse

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 20:15:44 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Nathaniel Polish <polish at dtgroup.com> wrote:
> I suppose that I was asking a style and taste question.  There are lots of
> environments -- some are in use for historical reasons -- some are more
> modern.  I for example have been known to write c code in emacs, compile
> with gcc and debug in gdb.  I would never recommend it to anyone under the
> age of 40 since IDEs such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.

Quite a few people think otherwise, and prefer emacs+toolchain over
IDE. Modern or not is irrelevant: what matters is what an IDE gives
you that you cannot get with a tool like emacs. In python's, case, my
experience is not much. Other people may prefer to get their VCS,
etc.... integrated in one tool.

Some languages like java have pretty good IDE, but what they offer is
not available for python (refactoring, for example - I have not seen
much of anything useful for advanced refactoring in python yet).

cheers,

David