[SciPy-User] Python and Eclipse

Nathaniel Polish polish at dtgroup.com
Sun Jan 9 21:33:56 EST 2011

Oh please.  Emacs is for real men.  We hack code in lisp in an emacs shell.
I first used emacs in 1984.  I used it to read email and net news.  It was
not just a text editor, it was a lifestyle.  But that has NOTHING to do
with Python.  Though I bet you could build a great Python interpreter in
emacs.

More to the point, I find that some languages/systems are much better
learned and understood within a particular development environment.  I'll
probably stick with emacs plus the python shell for the moment.  However,
I'll probably tryout the eclipse offering.  I came across enthought.com
(they seem to host this list).  It looks interesting.  Is it worthwhile as
a distribution or just a way for commercial-types to get paid support?

If anyone wants to exchange emacs/vi flames with me that's fine, but its
probably off-list material.

Nat

--On Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:13 PM -0700 Charles R Harris