[SciPy-User] SciPy and Diffusion Equation

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 14:29:12 EST 2011

Dear All,
I hope that this is not too off-topic.
I wonder if there is any tool under the scipy umbrella to deal with
diffusion problems. I have tackled these problems with proprietary
software in the past (e.g. Comsol Multiphysics), but I wonder if there
are other (simple) pythonic options.
To fix the ideas, consider c(x,t) as a time-dependent concentration
profile and the equation

\partial_t c= D\partial_x^2 c-\alpha c +beta\delta(x_0)

i.e. a standard diffusion equation with a source term beta\delta(x_0)
(what I mean is that the initial density distribution is a delta
centered about x_0, one can probably remove that term from the equation
while giving the initial density distribution at t=0).
However, it all boils down to a diffusion equation in an interval [0,L]
with an initial density profile c(x,t_0). In the case of the equation
above, I have an analytical solution, but in general I may want to add
sources, non-linear terms etc...so it should be considered as a starting
point.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Cheers

Lorenzo