[SciPy-User] which EPD?

Ken Watford kwatford+scipy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:24:30 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to run some Python simulations on a cluster.
> I'm the first, so I have to request the Python distribution
> that I need. I'm planning to ask for the 64 bit Enthought Python
> Distribution (Red Hat version, since that's the OS).
>
> BUT I want to ask first: is there any reason to
> avoid the 64 bit version in favor of the 32 bit
> version?  (E.g., missing extension packages?)
> I have a **very** vague recollection that there
> was some kind of problem on 64 bits with Fortran
> dependencies.  Is that simply wrong?  Are there
> any other considerations?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan Isaac

Since you can download and try the 32-bit version before you buy a
license, and this does not (normally) require any admin privileges,
why not give it a try? The main thing that 64-bit buys you is address
space. If you can get along with the memory constraints of a 32-bit
process, then great, just use that. If not, you'll need the 64-bit
version even if it has other potential issues.

And since you get access to all versions of EPD with any paid license,
you could just have your cluster admin install both versions. It won't
cost any more, and the setup is trivial.