[SciPy-User] Calling scipy.special._cephes functions directly from C.

Matt Hoffman mhoffman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:50:07 EST 2012

Hi all -

I need to compute the inverse incomplete beta function, which can be found
in scipy.special.betaincinv, many times within a loop. As a result I've
coded this particular loop in cython, and made calls instead directly to
the cephes function incbi, which looks like it should be defined in
scipy/special/_cephes.so as cephes_incbi. In my cython I've declared this
extern as

cdef extern double cephes_incbi(double, double, double)

And made sure to include the relevant scipy.special._cephes. This works on
a mac machine of mine, but not under linux.

I'm sure I'm having some issues with name mangling, or something, but I
can't quite put my finger on it and I'm wondering if anyone else has done
something similar and can give me a few pointers. Or even can let me know
if there's a better way to go about this.

Thanks!
-matt