[SciPy-User] Scipy stack: standard packages (poll)

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina at twdb.texas.gov
Thu Oct 4 17:39:22 EDT 2012

Hi,

I just voted on the poll, but i think the issue of whether package will be in epd free or not is kinda orthogonal to this discussion. I realize that having all the 'standard' packages in epd free would be an awesome thing but isn't that a business decision enthought needs to make. Epd is not the only way to get packages installed, but it is a very convenient one and if enthought wants to make epd free with a more limited subset of packages and have the full licensed epd be the standard compliant version, I don't see anything really wrong with that. After all they are providing a value added service by doing the cross platform packaging.

Dharhas

On 4 October 2012 14:27, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> The biggest remaining question (as I see it) is the hdf5 libraries.
> Both have got a somewhat mixed response on the poll, although h5py has
> a bit more support than PyTables. This did come up before, but let's
> hear more voices on the question. Should we specify neither, one, or
> both?

Discussion on the numfocus list has come to the conclusion that we
should either specify both h5py and PyTables, or neither. Please
register your opinion on this new poll:
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/568484

To be clear, I'm using all these polls to gauge what a larger number
of people think. It's like Wikipedia's "!voting" model - the option
with the most votes doesn't automatically win, but it's used to form a
consensus.

Thanks,
Thomas