[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Almar Klein a.klein at science-applied.nl
Wed Sep 19 04:25:27 EDT 2012

On 19 September 2012 02:50, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>>
>> On 19 September 2012 01:03, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io> wrote:
>>
>> The next version of Anaconda CE is going to contain a C-compiler for
>>
>> Windows, for example.
>>

> What c compiler do you get for 64-bit?

There is the mingw-w64 project: http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/. I played
with that a while ago. I got it working (when I had the right build), at
least for compiling some of my Cython code. Both 32bit and 64bit mingw
compilers can be relatively easily shipped with a distribution. They're
120Mb and 240-ish Mb (on disk), respectively.

The best thing to do is just encourage people to install XCode, I think.

I believe there are now easier ways to install a C compiler on Mac, but I
cannot find the link right now.

implementations would get to pick how they supported Cython (i.e. requiring
> Xcode install on Mac, vs bundling with Windows).

I'm personally also in favor of including Cython. I agree that a
distribution does not need to come with a C compiler, as long as it comes
with proper instructions on how to get one. Idea: maybe on Windows we can
together make a C-compiler-installer-for-pylab, that Windows distributions
can share.

regards,
  Almar