[SciPy-User] cobyla

The Helmbolds helmrp at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 17:09:33 EDT 2012

On my system (Windows 7, Python 2.7.x and IDLE, latest SciPy), I observe the following behavior with fmin_cobyla and minimize's COBYLA method.

Case 1: When run either in the IDLE interactive shell or within an enclosing Python program:
    1.1. The fmin_cobyla function never returns the Results dictionary, and never displays it to Python's stdout. This is true regardless of the function call's disp setting.
    1.2. The 'minimize' function always returns the Results dictionary but never displays it to Python's stdout. Again, this is true regardless of the function call's disp setting.

Case 2: When run interactively in Window's Command Prompt box:
    2.1 The fmin_cobyla function never returns the Result dictionary, regardless of the function call's disp setting. Setting disp to True or False either displays the Results dictionary in the command box or not (respectively). I don't think the Results dictionary gets to the command box via stdout.
    2.2 The 'minimize' function always returns the Result dictionary, regardless of the function call's disp setting.  Setting disp to True or False either displays the Results dictionary in the command box or not (respectively). I don't think the Results dictionary gets to the command box via stdout.

My thanks to all who helped clarify this situation.

Bob H