[SciPy-User] Maximum file size for savemat?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 11:56:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Michal Romaniuk
<michal.romaniuk06 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm saving a large batch of data using savemat and although I get no
> errors, the files produced are not readable for either matlab or scipy.
> Is there a limit on file size?

Ah - yes there is - the individual matrices in the mat file cannot be
larger than 4GB.  Is it possible you hit this limit?

Sorry, I only realized this when Richard Llewellyn pointed this out a
couple of weeks ago on the list:

http://scipy-user.10969.n7.nabble.com/SciPy-User-scipy-io-loadmat-throws-TypeError-with-large-files-td18558.html

The current scipy code has an error message for matrices that are too large.

Cheers,

Matthew