[SciPy-User] DAQmx python wrapper

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Sat Apr 26 12:53:15 EDT 2014

On Sa, 2014-04-26 at 09:04 -0400, John Hassler wrote:

> On 4/24/2014 10:23 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> > Hi Sebastian,
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Sebastian Berg
> > <sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> >         Hey,
> >
> >         We are thinking about writing some DAQ programs in python,
> >         and I was
> >         wondering if anyone can recommend a lib for that. There seem
> >         to be a
> >         bunch of wrappers using ctypes, which seem all good enough,
> >         but if there
> >         is something more highlevel or very well done, I would be
> >         happy to use
> >         that :).
> >
> >         Regards,
> >

> > Is DAQ data acquisition? If so, what sort of data?
> >

> > Chuck
> >

> Which DAQ are you using?  There is 'comedi' for internal boards, but I
> don't know of anything except the "ctype wrappers" for usb boxes.
> When I started doing this several years ago, I wrote my own ctype
> wrappers to access the dll for the Measurement Computing USB-1208 and
> for the NI-USB6008.  Mine were very simple, and did only what I
> needed.  There's a number of them on the web now, but I haven't looked
> an any of them in detail.

Sorry, thought the DAQ was more clear then it probably is. What we have
is a National instruments USB DAQ unit (M-Series). We are actually using
it more for analog output then input right now.

> Andrew Straw wrote a very nice object-oriented driver for the
> Measurement Computing USB devices in Python.  However, I found
> references to it in Cookbook/Data Acquisition, but I couldn't find the
> actual PyUniversalLibrary.  Maybe it's no longer active.

I will have a look if I find it, that sounds interesting, I also was
hoping that a wrapper could maybe help with multiprocessing magic to
separate the gui as much as possible from the signal generation. Though
maybe that is too high level to really do in any case.
I have started playing with one of the ctypes wrappers and it indeed
works very well. Rather annoying, because I initially wrote labview and
now have to realize that the C-Api is identical and can easily be called
from python, too :)...

- Sebastian