[SciPy-User] pip install scipy: error adding symbols: bad value

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 04:41:58 EST 2015

On 9 December 2015 at 17:11, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may have CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS defined, which override the distutils flags.
> Unset those (or append `-fPIC` to them)

I figured this one out. The culprit is actually FFLAGS. You can set CFLAGS
and CXXFLAGS freely.

I noticed that Numpy compiled just fine, but produced errors with f2py; and
the errors in Scipy's installation arise when gfortran is invoked. Also,
last week I was building some FORTRAN, and I set the corresponding flags;
hence the problem. Unsetting FFLAGS fixed the issue (but setting it to the
empty string didn't!).

I confirm that distutils is just appending my CFLAGS to the preset ones,
which seems to me a sane behaviour. I think f2py should do the same.

/David.