[SciPy-User] Installing scipy on MacOS X

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:11:22 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Slater Joseph C , PhD, PE
> <joseph.slater at wright.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working towards developing for scipy (staying away from compiled code)
>> and I'm being tripped up by an inability to install scipy (16.0) in a
>> virtualenv on MacOS X. I've tried different variants of python (MacPorts,
>> Homebrew, Official distribution) (2.7.10, 3.4), and have tried multiple
>> fortran compilers (starting with form the recommended site, then from
>> elsewhere). I get the same error message regardless.
>>
>> ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>> error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -g -L/usr/local/lib
>> build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4/scipy/cluster/_vq.o -L/opt/local/lib
>> -L/usr/local/gfortran/lib/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin14/5.1.0
>> -Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4 -ltatlas -ltatlas -ltatlas -lgfortran -o
>> build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4/scipy/cluster/_vq.so" failed with exit
>> status 1
>

> This is trying to use ATLAS, do you have that installed? I'd expect all
> those source builds to use Accelerate.
>
> Can you:
> - give us the full build command you used
> - put the complete build log in a gist and link to it
> - check that ``python -c "import numpy; numpy.test('full')`` passes
>
> I've been using Homebrew and gfortran 4.9.1 for a year or so without issues.

There should always be a working from-scratch build procedure in
https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels/blob/master/.travis.yml

It's in .travis.yml format, and it does some post-build processing
that is irrelevant for your case, but at least it is a build that
works on a default OSX system.

Cheers,

Matthew