[SciPy-User] Experimental Design with Python

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:50:50 EDT 2015

Hello there,

Is anyone on the list involved with experimental design, aka 'design of
experiments', aka 'DoE'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_of_experiments
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pri/pri.htm

I'm having a very hard time finding much if anything about DoE involving
Python, which I kind of thought would be a natural fit given the utility
of scipy, etc..  R has an entire task view page on CRAN
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ExperimentalDesign.html).  Is there
some particular reason Python would be unsuitable for this sort of
endeavor, or something to explain the utter lack of interest?  I've
found a few packages (pyDOE, pyDesign, experimentator) but nothing like
the hype surrounding 'machine learning'.

I'm looking at using it to optimize something (for a hobby), and the
commercial stats packages such as Minitab, JMP, Stat-ease, etc. are
pretty much out-of-reach. At this point I'm leaning towards using R;
though I'm more comfortable overall with Python, I'm not really at a
point to where I feel comfortable 'rolling my own' for this sort of
thing just yet.

Thanks,

Monte

--