[SciPy-User] Understanding the "vode" warning for `scipy.integrate.ode`: "This integrator is not re-entrant. You cannot have two ode instances...at the same time."

Brian Merchant bhmerchant at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:33:08 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I'd like to make sure I am understanding the warning for the "vode" and
"zvode" integrators, provided by `scipy.integrate.ode` correctly -- it
might seem repetitive, but please bear with me.

Let us say one has ODE problem 1, which is completely separate and
different from ODE problem 2.

Then, this warning tells us that we have to choose to solve ODE problem 1
first, and then ODE problem 2, even though they are completely separate. I
cannot solve ODE problem 1 and ODE problem 2 in parallel, using two
*separate* instances of `scipy.integrate.odeint`.

Presumably, this is because the same instance of the underlying solver is
called by all `scipy.integrate.odeint` instances?

Kind regards,
Brian