[SciPy-User] [SciPy-Dev] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

. kt kmtac at LIVE.COM
Fri Oct 13 10:29:42 EDT 2017

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:47:41 +0200
From: Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org>
To: SciPy Developers List <scipy-dev at python.org>
Cc: SciPy Users List <scipy-user at python.org>
Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] [SciPy-Dev] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog
        featured on planet scipy

>On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45:04PM -0700, Robert Kern wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM, . kt <kmtac at live.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps a good time to test the proposed code of conduct.

> >FWIW, it seems more likely to me that the site got hacked and taken over by a
> >spammer.

>Indeed.

>> > Meanwhile, perhaps someone who can edit planet.scipy.org should remove the post -- sooner, rather than later.

> >It already seems to be gone.

>Removing the feed is the first thing that I did when I woke up this
>morning (Paris time zone).

>I have admin rights on the planet. My name is listed there as an
>administrator. People should not hesitate to contact me if something is
>wrong with the planet and I haven't noticed. I'll take action as quickly
>as possible.

>Ga?l

Thanks, Gael!

I had looked for the administrator at planet scipy, but missed it despite your name being there in plain site on the sidebar.  In the unlikely event that this happens again, I'll email you directly.

It's good that there was no bad intent on anyone's part.

I actually did assume that the website was run by good-willing individuals.  My concern was more that newcomers to python for data analysis would not have the context to know this, especially since programming is now dominated by men*.   In particular, I was thinking of my sister, a mid-career MBA who says that the one gap in her education was not learning how to program.  I'm planning to teach her -- and perhaps others in her small, women-owned consulting firm -- how to program in python, to replace/supplement Excel-based analysis.   I would also recommend planet.scipy.org to her as useful resource -- it's where I discovered pandas and ipython/jupyter notebook.  But she and others would not have the background to know Wednesday's (hacked) post was very unusual.  Given the coverage of programming in the media (e.g., https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/why-is-silicon-valley-so-awful-to-women/517788/), it would be easy for those new to scientific python to make the wrong assumption.

*(But used to be dominated by women -- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/computer-programming-used-to-be-womens-work-718061/ , https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/09/what-programmings-past-reveals-about-todays-gender-pay-gap/498797/.)

Best,
kmtac