[Shtoom] local ip determination

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Jan 26 10:56:49 CET 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 06:58, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Should sip.Call.setLocalIP() be refactored to use the new
> nat.getLocalIPAddress()?
> By the way, you might be able to glean useful ideas or code from this
> venerable and battle-tested module:
> http://mnetproject.org/repos/mnet/egtp/ipaddresslib.py
> I don't really know most of what is in that hairy module, but I do know
> that it worked well enough on all supported platforms at Mojo Nation
> and then Mnet for many years.

Hm. They try the connected UDP socket, and then attempt to parse
ifconfig and netstat output. I really want to stay away from the latter -
it strikes me as an incredibly brittle and painful approach (indeed, the
module has a huge pile of parsing code for all sorts of different platforms
to parse the output. Yuk.)