[Shtoom] shtoom issues with asterisk

Frank Scholz fs at beebits.com
Tue Jul 5 09:01:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have currently a few ideas spinning around my head
involving Python/Twisted and VoIP and thought I give
shtoom a try to get some things clearer.

I made a pretty standard netinstall of Debian sarge
and apt-ed asterisk-1.0.7. Got that up and running
with dialin and out plus three X-Lite phones working.

Now I wanted to connect shtoom to this and checked
out the current trunk - shtoominfo below.

1) when calling an extension unavailable I'm getting
   the voicemail hello audio completly disturbed. Like a
   cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio  ;-)
   2005-07-03T14:58:49.583568 [shtoom.rtp.protocol.RTPProtocol (UDP)]
   ALSA overrun
   you get a lot of these if you listen longer
   --> 1.log

2) when calling an available extension it is ringing there,
   but we have some authorization problem and an exception.
   --> 2.log
   The reason for the authorization I don't understand.
   Why is there a Reinvitation?

3) when getting called there is an exception:
   exceptions.AssertionError: close device ALSAAudioDevice
   open before calling selectDefaultFormat()
   --> 3.log

4) putting nat=none and stun_policy=never in the [network]
   context isn't honored. I had to change this in the source.

Perhaps I'm missing something, and the audio problems
are the result of some other (configuration) errors.
(With madplay/mpg321/xmms/mplayer audio is working fine.)
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Btw. I checked it with python2.4 too, with only
minor differences in the results.

And, any hint on how to get an rtp audio stream into
shtoom as audio in (or directly into *) and audio out
via TCP too would be great!  ;-)
What's the intention behind tcpaudio.py?

beeHIM:~# shtoominfo.py
Shtoom, version 0.3alpha0
Using python version 2.3.5
Using twisted version 2.0.1
Running on Linux i686 2.6.8-2-386
Available audio interfaces: alsaaudio, ossaudio, fileaudio
Available user interfaces: text, tk
Available codecs: gsm, mulaw
Local IP address: 192.168.213.107
No UPnP-capable device discovered
STUN says NAT type: PortRestricted
And the mapper we'd use is: <shtoom.stun.STUNMapper instance at 0x406086ac>
clearing all NAT caches

beeHIM:~# more .shtoomrc
[shtoom]
shtoomdir=/usr
audio=alsa
ui=text

[credentials]
asterisk=MjAwNAB0ZXN0

[network]
localip=192.168.213.107
listenport=0

[identity]
username=2004
email_address=fs at home

[register]
register_uri=sip:192.168.213.107:5060
register_authuser=2004
register_user=2004
register_authpasswd=test

here the corresponding entry in sip.conf

[2004]
type=user
regexten=2004
username=2004
secret=test
auth=md5
callerid=shtoom <2004>
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no
disallow=all
allow=gsm
allow=ulaw

[logs gzipped due to 40k list restriction]

TIA,
Frank