[Shtoom] [Divmod-dev] Shtoom-Bugs

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sat Jun 11 11:16:17 CEST 2005

(cc'ing the shtoom list - shtoom at python.org)

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 05:23, Jonas wrote:
> - When googling for "Shtoom" the first hit points to shtoom.sf.net,
> which in turn says " Shtoom's website is now hosted at Divmod.org". The
> link provided points at "http://www.divmod.org/Home/Projects/Shtoom/" ->
> 404. You might want to change that to http://divmod.org/projects/shtoom.

Fixed. Sorry, I forgot about that entirely.

> - On the homepage it says Twisted 1.3 as requirement, on the IRC channel
> 2.0. On the mailing list someone mentioned that you just have to comment
> out the check for 2.0 in setup.py and it will still work. Better to set
> a requirement and stick to it - even though it means Debian users like
> me won't be able to use it for a while.

I'm still undecided about 1.3 vs 2.0 - the website does tend to lag a little
(as you've probably already noticed <wink>)

> - What does the popup box "Re-Register by entering new details...
> continue registering?" mean? It does not seem to serve any purpose. When
> I click on "Register" I really DO want to register. That it re-registers
> when I change my preferences I assume from the start.

Ah - this is the wxui. It desperately needs a lot of TLC - I want to
move it to using the threadedselectreactor thing. For now, the gnome
UI is far and away the most polished - if you can run that, you should.
The current wx UI has to go through all sorts of horrible machinations
to get around the wx event loop being crackful, and it means I have much
less enthusiasm to work on that UI than the others.

> - The credentials preferences tab seems to serve no purpose in the GUI.
> It's either empty or carries non-user-relevant configuration.

That's another bit that will be going away soonish (once the new SIP
code lands). It's all the options you used to have to use, but don't
now.

> - The config file is created under the current directory, not under the
> home directory of the user

I don't see this, unless you're running on Windows. The notion of a "home"
directory on Windows is something I don't pretend to understand - if anyone
wants to suggest something better, please let me know. The relevant code in
shtoom/Options.py is:

def findOptionsDir():
    try:
        saveDir = os.path.expanduser('~%s'%os.getlogin())
    except:
        saveDir = os.getcwd()
    return saveDir

If this doesn't work for you, please let me know. (try
"python -c 'import os; print os.path.expanduser("~%s"%os.getlogin())'"
and see what it says)

> - When starting Shtoom with the wx-gui without a .shtoomrc present, the
> preferences windows checks "Qt" as the GUI preference. Saving and
> restarting without changing the GUI-preference to "wx" leads to the
> error "import qt: module not found" because the preference ui=qt has
> been saved in the config file.

That's obviously a problem with the wxui. I don't know when I will have
time to give the wx UI a thorough going-over. If someone else wants to
take on the task, let me know! Your contributions would be much appreciated.

> - Clicking on the "Close"-button of the wx-GUI prints "Main loop
> terminated" to stdout but the program doesn't terminate. And it still
> hogs the audio.

That's just wx+twisted being a horror. Hopefully threadedselectreactor
will make this less suck.