[Shtoom] pyx coreaudio

Donovan Preston dp at ulaluma.com
Mon Oct 17 20:41:01 CEST 2005

I'm ccing the shtoom list because this mail also contains an answer
to Hubert's public question to the list.

On Oct 15, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Hubert Pham wrote:

> Hi Donovan,
>
> I've installed your pyx coreaudio, and I am delighted to have
> playback hooks into Mac OS X coreaudio from python.
>
> I'm also looking for a way to capture recorded audio as well. I was
> wondering if the CoreAudio audio input interface is something pyx
> coreaudio already exposes -- and if not, whether it's a path you've
> explored. I'm not familiar with Mac OS X development myself, so I'm
> wondering what pitfalls might await.

Hi,

As you seem to have noticed from your post to the Shtoom mailing
list, there were two different versions of the coreaudio module I
produced with Pyrex. The one on my website merely returned a list of
samples. The one that Shtoom used for a while took a single inout
parameter, "buffer", which contained the input from the microphone
and which you mutated in place to produce output.

However, I think your problems with Shtoom stem from the fact that it
is not capable of using the coreaudio module any more, but it still
tries to detect if it is there. Shtoom contains built-in audio
support in the form of ShtoomCoreAudio.framework. I spent some time
generalizing this framework and intended to release it as
PyCoreAudio.framework, a replacement for my coreaudio module, but I
haven't finished this yet.

The solution to your Shtoom problems mentioned publicly on the list
should be simply to remove the coreaudio module. You will probably
also have to use the Xcode project to build it and run the built .app
instead of running Shtoom from the command line.

dp