[Shtoom] Shtoom performance issues

Anthony Collins anthony at it.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 20 11:05:49 CET 2006

Hi All,

I am currently using the Shtoom and Doug frameworks for an application I
am developing that is used between a number of fairly slow (Via
700Mhz) machines. There is a perceived delay of about 2-3 seconds for
voice communication. This can be eliminated by muting the call (on each
machine) for about 4 seconds. Does anybody have any ideas about how this
could be solved? I assume this is because Shtoom is queuing up lots of
RTP packets, and falling behind, and then the packets are dropped when
the call is muted. What would be the best way to programmatically solve
this? I would like to implement something that flushes the RTP queue if
it fills up to a certain amount (if this is infact the problem).

Thanks,
Anthony