[Shtoom] Shtoom performance issues

Anthony Collins anthony at it.usyd.edu.au
Tue Feb 21 00:14:05 CET 2006

Hi Frank

I am using a number of EPIA ML based systems, running Debian 3.1 (2.4
Kernel), and using ALSA (with PyAlsaAudio 0.2). I am using the standard
Shtoom codec (Mulaw as far as I know). I am using OpenSER as a SIP
registrar only, but this is running on the same network (as all of the
EPIA machines). Would I see any performance improvements by switching to
a codec such as Speex? What is the best codec to improve latency on
low-powered hardware?

Thanks