[Shtoom] Shtoom performance issues

Frank Scholz fs at beebits.com
Tue Feb 21 10:20:21 CET 2006

Hi Anthony,

> I am using a number of EPIA ML based systems,

the ML and MS are very similar

> running Debian 3.1 (2.4 Kernel),

same here, but with Kernel 2.6.14.3 + epia patches

> and using ALSA (with PyAlsaAudio 0.2).

still on pyalsaaudio-0.1 here

> I am using the standard Shtoom codec (Mulaw as far as I know).
> I am using OpenSER as a SIP registrar only, but this is running
> on the same network (as all of the EPIA machines).

my * is working as a media gateway too, meaning all my communication between
the phones are bridged and transcoded if necessary on the *. Which
should introduce
more overhead than your OpenSER, as there (afaik there is no bridging) the
two shtooms talk directly to each other.

> Would I see any performance improvements by switching to
> a codec such as Speex?What is the best codec to improve latency on
> low-powered hardware?
http://www.speex.org/comparison.html and I think that there is something
on http://voip-info.org/ that does some comparison too.

But I'm uncertain if it is a question of 'low-powered hardware'.
You have the same effect with some other phone sw?

And I would try a kernel with the epia patches, as I recall some
issues with the ethernet module with a stock 2.6 kernel.
Maybe with 2.4 too?

Ciao,
Frank