[Soap-Python] soaplib versioning and community process

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 18:55:29 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Burak Arslan <burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr> wrote:
>  hello,
>
> On 10/07/10 18:56, Brad Allen wrote:
>> I would like to suggest that for soaplib, we follow the Semantic
>> Versioning rules laid out at semver.org.
>>

> we already do, no? i will (and do) increment major version every time i
> break backwards compatibility.

Right, but semantic versioning rules also reserve the 0.x series for
complete freedom to break backward compatibility. Given that soaplib
is still in a state of flux, I think keeping within the 0.x range
would be in line with community expectations.

>> The fast iteration is great, Burak. However I would prefer it happen
>> in a topic branch, and should undergo some community code review
>> before merging into a branch destined for release. I can volunteer my
>> co-worker Chris Austin to help with the review process, and I hope
>> others in the community will volunteer to participate in the code
>> review process.
>
> that's overkill for a tiny project like soaplib. i'm not going to waste
> time juggling all that.

I thought you were finding feedback helpful. I know you and Chris have
had a lot of off-list discussion about recent changes.

Besides, soaplib is far from a "tiny" project; it's not trivial in the
least. Code review is a highly beneficial process; it's not about
getting in your way with a cumbersome process. It's about getting
another set of interested eyes on the code and having a dialog.

The use of topic branches is also far from cumbersome, especially with
the way Git makes merging so painless.