[Soc2012-general] Reg: SymPy projects under GSOC

Anhad Jai Singh anhad.jai.singh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:46:37 CET 2012

Hello all,

I am keen to undertake a SymPy project under GSOC. I have the required
Mathematical background  needed for the project.(I have grounding in
polynomials, Single Variable Calculus, Discrete Maths, Matrices,
Fundamentals of University level Physics). I have done basic
typesetting in LaTex using texlive. My preferred languages are Python
and C.

I have gone through the
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/gsoc-2012-ideas page.
I found really interesting projects that I would like to work on. These include:

1. Mobile app for iOS and/or Andriod
I have extensively used both Platforms i.e. Android and iOS. . I also
have the required 	hardware i.e devices running both the iOS and
Android.

Though I have no prior experience developing applications for either
of the platforms a 	preliminary study leads me to believe it is simple
enough and was wondering if prior 	development experience is a
prerequisite to apply.

2.Equation editor

I have used the curses library and interface. I like the suggested
development idea, but as the 	description is incomplete I am keen to
explore the idea further.

3.Step-by-step Expression Manipulation
I found the idea very interesting. If implemented properly it can be
an important tool for 	learning mathematics. It will also promote
wide-spread acceptance as well as usage of 	SymPy. I am unclear as to
the mathematical expertise required for the project and therefore
would like to know the mathematical abilities required for the
project.

I would also be grateful if someone could provide further details
about what exactly is required for the Linear algebra and Parsing
projects.

Anhad Jai Singh,
Student at IIIT-Hyderabad, India.