[spambayes-dev] Dialog Hacking

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Aug 15 17:21:18 EDT 2003

> What are we checking in, images for websites or layers for
> people to edit?
> It's been awhile since I used Gimp, but it has a native
> format as well and
> has the added benefit of being open source and very widely
> available.  (I
> have it on my Mac even.)

The "source code" analogy was good.  We want to check in the source to the
images (the layers etc) so that future tweaks are reasonable.  However, as
the tools are either not freely or not commonly available to convert from
the source to the binary (eg, jpeg for the website), we are also forced to
check in the binaries.  This situtation is not good, but the only other
reasonable alternative is to check in binaries only - which seems worse to
me.

So the suggestion was to check the "source" into a special/reasonable
directory, and check the "binary" version whereever it makes most sense for
the consumer of the binary - eg, Outlook\dialogs\logo.bmp for Outlook,
website/logo.jpg for the website, etc.

At least, that is what I am talking about <wink>

Mark.