[spambayes-dev] RE: SpamBayes Readme

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Aug 20 17:02:59 EDT 2003

> > BTW, there was a suggestion a while back (from Skip) that
> > we adopt the
> > format that ssh uses for port forwarding: "remote host:remote
> > port:local port".  For example: "pop.example.com:110:110".  Do you
> > think this would be any clearer?
>
> I think it would be.

It would be interesting to hear what the other -dev people have to say.
There was a suspicious quiet after Skip suggested it ;)  It looks more
confusing to me, but then I've never used ssh port forwarding...

> Note that there's a large number of people out there that
> won't know that POP is normally on port 110 :)

True, which is why the remote port just defaults to 110, and the doc
suggests 110 for the proxy.

> Why not just arbitrarily assign a port number if the user
> doesn't supply one?

One reason is that unless/until we integrate more tightly with the mail
clients, the user needs to know the number, so that they can tell they
mail client which port to connect to.  It would make it easier in terms
of support, too, if almost everyone was using the same port.

> > I haven't heard much about how well Mail.app filters.  Is it really
> > that bad?
>
> The filtering is fine - the spam detection isn't so crash-hot

I worded that poorly.  I meant the spam detecting.

> The interface *rocks* though ... for a given message, there's a
> button with which you can simply say "this is spam" or
> "you marked this as spam and got it wrong".
[...]
> I'm assuming the outlook interface is like that.

Almost exactly.

> Unless KMail includes spambayes by default
> (oooh!) it's unlikely to get that level of integration.

Any client that provides a decent interface for plug-ins should be able
to have this sort of integration, as long as someone's willing to put in
the time to do it.  How difficult it is depends a lot on the plug-in
interface; Outlook is very complicated, so a lot of work.  Eudora, for
example, also has a plug-in interface and (in theory) should be somewhat
simpler (especially since you can copy work that Mark has done).  I
think someone was going to work on a (Windows) Eudora plug-in, but I
haven't heard anything further.

=Tony Meyer