[spambayes-dev] Re: SpamBayes Readme

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Wed Aug 20 12:54:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:28 am, Meyer, Tony wrote:
> BTW, there was a suggestion a while back (from Skip) that we adopt the
> format that ssh uses for port forwarding: "remote host:remote port:local
> port".  For example: "pop.example.com:110:110".  Do you think this would
> be any clearer?

I think it would be. Note that there's a large number of people out there that
won't know that POP is normally on port 110 :)

Why not just arbitrarily assign a port number if the user doesn't supply one?
The roundup demo script does this as a means of making things easier on the
end user via this code:

    # figure basic params for server
    hostname = socket.gethostname()
    # pick a fairly odd, random port
    port = 8917
    while 1:
        print 'Trying to set up web server on port %d ...'%port,
        s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1)
        try:
            s.connect((hostname, port))
        except socket.error, e:
            if not hasattr(e, 'args') or e.args[0] != errno.ECONNREFUSED:
                raise
            print 'should be ok.'
            break
        else:
            s.close()
            print 'already in use.'
            port += 100

> I haven't heard much about how well Mail.app filters.  Is it really that
> bad?

The filtering is fine - the spam detection isn't so crash-hot (from what
people have told me - I don't get much spam at that address). The interface
*rocks* though ... for a given message, there's a button with which you can
simply say "this is spam" or "you marked this as spam and got it wrong". No
idea what sort of scheme they're using under the covers. I'm assuming the
outlook interface is like that. Unless KMail includes spambayes by default
(oooh!) it's unlikely to get that level of integration.

   Richard