[spambayes-dev] RE: SpamBayes Readme

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Sun Aug 24 11:00:34 EDT 2003

[Resend]

[Tony]
> there was a suggestion a while back (from Skip) that
> we adopt the format that ssh uses for port forwarding:
> For example: "pop.example.com:110:110".
> [...]
> It would be interesting to hear what the other -dev people have to say.
> There was a suspicious quiet after Skip suggested it ;)  It looks more
> confusing to me, but then I've never used ssh port forwarding...

Personally I don't like it - I imagine someone unfamiliar with the idea of
ports would not have a clue what it meant.  By separating the local and
remote ports into different fields, we separate the concepts rather than
muddling them together (there's an added complication relating items in
one list with items in the other, but that's not difficult and you only
typically have a small number of them).  Maybe the fix is as simple as
changing the Configuration page to say "Spambayes ports" or "Local ports"
or "Listening ports" instead of just "Ports"?

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com