[spambayes-dev] stopping pop3proxy

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Aug 25 21:10:27 EDT 2003

[Tony]
> > Done.  (There are now only three pop3proxy functions of
> > interest: prepare(), start() and stop().  They do what you
> > would expect, and all take a pop3proxy.State object (like
> > pop3proxy.state) as the only parameter).
[Mark]
> stop() appears dangerous - remember it is called
> asynchronously, so another thread could be doing almost
> anything.  What we really need is a trigger to tell the main
> loop to stop, and the save should be done as that loop terminates.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to do this -
hopefully Richie does.  The closest I can think of is that stop() needs
to call stop_when_done() on each of the BayesProxy objects, and then
wait until they have all stopped (I don't know how to check this).  Then
save then return.

Richie - any advice?

Also in terms of stopping pop3proxy, on my fiance's computer pop3proxy
is running all the time so that she doesn't have to know how to start &
stop it when checking for mail (it's too old for pop3proxy_service).
This works fine, except that when she shuts down Windows, it comes up
with a "can't shut this program down" message (it does terminate it
after a delay, but it's annoying).  Is there some way that we can handle
this?  I presume Windows sends a sigterm or something to the
application?  Would other OSs do exactly the same thing?

=Tony Meyer