[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] fatal error?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 09:32:14 EDT 2003

(cc'ing spambayes-dev)

    Mark> Thanks. I guess I will delete the database and start over again.
    Mark> But what guarantees me that this is not going to happen again?

There are no guarantees.  We don't at this moment know what the problem is.

(What follows is perhaps more for the developers than Mark...)

I contacted Sleepycat about distributing binaries of their command line
executables (it doesn't seem they'd have a problem with it).  In addition to
information about that I got this information about your specific error:

    DB_RUNRECOVERY is the error that is returned when the library detects a
    fatal error or structure in the shared region or environment files that
    are used to coordinate the interaction between multiple threads of
    control. Once this occurs, the shared region is marked invalid and the
    application must be shut down, recovery must be run and the application
    can be brought back up. Recovery can be run as a standalone utility
    (db_recover) or from the application, by specifying DB_RECOVER when
    opening the environment.

If the Outlook plugin is executing multiple threads, two of which might
operate on the database simultaneously, I suspect it will have to lock
access to the db file.  Mark Hammond, does the above comment jive with the
structure of the plugin?

Skip