[spambayes-dev] Serious problem

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Dec 2 13:06:52 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Dave> When mail is run through sb_filter.py, any line which begins with
>     Dave> a period ("."), and all lines thereafter, are stripped from the
>     Dave> email.  For example, the following paragraph begins with
>     Dave> "./configure".  If you don't see it, you're seeing the bug.
>
>     Dave> ./configure is the command most people use to run a configure script.
>
> I think the problem is elsewhere in your mail tool chain.  I saw the dot

I thought I'd ruled that out, but on further investigation, you're
quite right.  Sorry for the noise.

Here's an excerpt from what I sent my sysadmin:

---

Not long ago I started seeing a problem with my incoming emails.  Any
line beginning with a period ("."), and all following lines, are
stripped from the message.  If I turn off the procmail processing
altogether, the effect goes away.

I'm running all mail through procmail to filter spam and re-forwarding
them to myself using the following .procmailrc:

  LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmaillog
  PYTHONPATH=/usr/home/dave/src/spambayes:/usr/home/dave/src/email-2.5

  # Pass everything through the Spambayes filter
  :0 fw
  |/usr/local/bin/python /usr/home/dave/src/spambayes/scripts/sb_filter.py -d $HOME/h
  # Forward the mail back to myself
  :0
  ! dave

I can verify that the problem has nothing to do with Spambayes by
replacing that line with:

  | (echo "X-Spambayes-Classification: ham; 0.00" ; cat)

which basically force-classifies the message as ham to prevent an
infinite mail-rule loop.

procmail is still seeing the right email contents up until the point
the mail is forwarded back to me, which I can verify by adding:

  :0 c
  |cat >> bayeslog2

and inspecting bayeslog2.

--