[spambayes-dev] A new and altogether different bsddb breakage

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 17 20:21:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 18:25, Richie Hindle wrote:

>  o The database wouldn't get significantly bigger than with direct use of
>    bsddb.

I didn't say that. :)

ZODB's storage api and object model requires many ancillary tables in
order to keep house properly.  The overall disk usage of a BDB-backed
ZODB will be greater than if you could just model the data structures
you needed directly onto BerkeleyDB BTrees (most likely).  With ZODB,
it's probably likely that object pickles overwhelm the the housekeeping
tables so it may not matter much, but for spambayes, I'm not sure that
would be the case (I haven't looked closely at exactly what data
spambayes wants to store).

>  o Since BDB uses bsddb in transaction mode rather than single-file mode,
>    we can say goodbye to those nasty little DBRunRecovery errors.  Yay!

That's the hope, anyway. :)

-Barry