[spambayes-dev] default to mine_received_headers=True, "may be forged"

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 17:28:33 EST 2003

[Skip Montanaro]
> Okay.  I was just referring to the loop over the Received headers in
> the section of code we've been messing with.

Cool!  The line structure clearly does't do anything except get in the way
for us there.

> Okay, I'll leave "(may be forged)" in and add Comcast's "(untrusted
> sender)".  I posted a note to comp.mail.misc asking for equivalents
> to "(may be forged)" for other MTAs.  I'll see if anything
> interesting turns up which warrants investigation.

Don't you think this is a "stupid beats smart" kind of thing?  I do.
Besides those strings, "(no client certificate requested)" is 100%
correlated with ham for me now, and "(misconfigured sender)" is curiously
mixed.  I don't know who's generating them, but after weeding out the ones
containing digits there are so few remaining I don't give a rip.  MTAs will
change over time, MTAs in other countries may use different words, spammers
trying to forge Received lines are (if history is any guide) quite likely to
screw up small details ... the classifier will learn all this on its own,
provided it's not blinded to the raw data by a presumption that we know in
advance what will and won't be useful.

be-stupid-be-happy<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim