[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] How low can you go?

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at wolfskeep.com
Tue Dec 23 20:32:33 EST 2003

In message:  <MHEGIFHMACFNNIMMBACAMELEGPAA.nobody at spamcop.net>
             "Seth Goodman" <nobody at spamcop.net> writes:

>> [Skip Montanaro]
>> Yeah, or sb_filter.py and/or sb_moxtrain.py.  Note that I'm
>> assuming you're
>> going to test your changes on a collection of saved mail, not on your
>> incoming mail feed.
>
>In that case, is it possible to leave the Outlook binary installed for my
>incoming mail stream while I use sb_mboxtrain.py and sb_filter.py for stored
>mbox testing?

Certainly.  You can run test tools completely independent of your mail
feed, without affecting it at all.

>My system doesn't seem to have a PythonPath environment variable, so I
>would guess this is possible, so long as I can keep all the relevant
>paths different.

Exactly.  Most of the test scripts have path-futzing stuff at the top
to find local copies of the spambayes code, too, so it's theoretically
possible even if you do have a PythonPath set.

>is there a way to convert my saved Outlook mail folders to mbox format

This is much more problematic; Mark may have code for this, but as I
mentioned in my last mail, Outlook mutilates mail.  It may be easier to
just start collecting fresh by inserting something which saves incoming
mail before Outlook gets its grubby little hands all over it.

>so that I _can_ see how the changes I make work on my own mail stream
>as well?

This is the most laudable goal of all... for it is how we judge if things
are good or bad. :-)

- Alex