[spambayes-dev] [ spambayes-Feature Requests-762783 ] TMDA capabilities

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 1 08:29:48 EDT 2003

Feature Requests item #762783, was opened at 2003-06-29 17:33
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by beyond-thoughts
You can respond by visiting:

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I just switched from TMDA (http://tmda.net/) to Spambayes.
Watching emails that were neither in black- or
whitelist was to annoying. Of course those people get a
reply (please see at TMDA-Homepage to see how it works)
but about 50% don't understand the reply-mail. (I don't
know why -- the text is very clear!).
Spambayes doesn't queue emails that can't be classified
-- you receive them as "unsure".

I think combining both techniques would cut down wrong
positive and wrong negative and the "unsure" numbers.
Additionaly it might be useful for training having a
definite black- and whitelist.

So what are good points (files, classes, methods) to
add such a feature?
Is it dependent whether pop3proxy, hammie, ... is used?

Thank You,
   Christoph Becker-Freyseng

Date: 2003-07-01 14:29

Logged In: YES

I know that TMDA and Spambayes have different approaches,
but this is what makes it useful combining them.
With Spambayes till now I had no false classified emails
(just few "unsure") so I'm quite satisfied with it. However
I still have to check the emails in "Spam-Folder" because I
don't want to risk loosing some false-classified important
When Spambayes had some TMDA capabilities it could just sent
a confirmation-email to the asumed spammer. If he doesn't
reply then it's really his fault. So I won't have to check
emails in the "Spam-Folder" at all.
On the other side people I send emails to could be
automatically added to a white-list so they surely won't
have trouble with Spamfilters.
I have thought of some more configurable rules that could be
added making Spambayes an interactive-AI-Spamfilter.

I'd like to make a demo-implementation but I need some
starting points. Especially I don't know how the Outlook
stuff works. But maybe I should just try implementing such a
thing for the pop3- and smtp-proxy.

   Christoph Becker-Freyseng

Comment By: Anthony Baxter (anthonybaxter)
Date: 2003-07-01 01:38

Logged In: YES

I can't imagine that this feature would ever be added to
spambayes. It's a completely different approach to
spam-filtering, with almost nothing in common with the
existing approach. Spambayes will gradually improve as you
train it further - the initial flurry of unsures is probably
just insufficient training. Note also that you can adjust
the cutoffs to end up with more or less unsures.

You can respond by visiting: