[spambayes-dev] Re: Pickle vs DB inconsistencies

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jul 7 12:42:01 EDT 2003

> There are as many different way to specify the
> training database as there are separate scripts

Which scripts don't use the "-[d|D] filename" format?  They should all
work with setting [Storage]persistent_storage_file in a config file, as
well.

> IMHO there should be one script for each
> of the following tasks:
[...]
>   * export a database
>   * import a database

Any particular reason that these should be separated into two scripts?
(Rather than having one script to "convert" a database?)

> They should all live in a 'scripts' directory (or something),

They do all live in one directory (apart from the testing tools) - the
root, and they are all installed into the scripts directory by setup.py,
if you run that.  What would be the advantage of moving *.py in the root
directory into a scripts directory?

> and (naturally) they should use Optik/optparse for a consistent
> command-line interface.

Don't they all use getopt?  If they used optparse, then the required
Python version would lift to 2.3, wouldn't it?  (Or users would be
required to separately install Optik).

I don't see where the inconsistency is.  However, I don't use
hammiefilter at all, so my knowledge only comes from the docstrings and
reading about it, so I could be way off!  Could you provide some
examples, though?

=Tony Meyer