[spambayes-dev] Names

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 13:22:38 EDT 2003

    >> Fine by me, but why the sb- prefix?  Is there some clash with
    >> existing applications?

    Alex> I don't think the issue is clash with existing applications;
    Alex> rather, the issue is namespace pollution.  The gist of the
    Alex> argument is that if we use such generic names, then future people
    Alex> will be barred from using equally generic names...  but we have no
    Alex> more right to those names than those other people, so we should
    Alex> not preemptively take the names.

Tools like Apache install themselves in their own directory tree.  For
example, /usr/local/apache/sbin/apachectl instead of
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl.  That seems a bit cleaner to me.  Most of our
applications aren't the sort of things you'd run from the command line like
grep anyway.  They'd be run in the background as daemons or from procmail
files, so the somewhat cumbersome path wouldn't be a big deal.