[spambayes-dev] Remote access

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 15 13:28:49 EDT 2003

    Van> My wife is also troubled by spam, and is in the "Tim's sister"
    Van> category.

Mine too.  Well, actually I got Spambayes working for her before spam became
a problem.

    Van> However, she works from an older Macintosh, so there is no way to
    Van> run SpamBayes locally. I could reroute all of her mail through one
    Van> of my mail servers which runs MailScanner/SpamAssassin, but that
    Van> looks to be only about 80% as effective as SpamBayes.

Ellen's mail has always gone to the Musi-Cal mail server where she's picked
it up via POP.  All I needed to do was install a simple .procmailrc file
that runs hammiefilter and routes anything marked as spam to me (I'm such a
nice guy ;-):

    BAYESHOME=/home/skip
    BAYESCUSTOMIZE=$BAYESHOME/hammie.opt

    :0fw:hamlock
    | /usr/local/bin/hammiefilter.py -d $BAYESHOME/hammie.db

    :0
    ! skip at manatee.mojam.com

    :0:ellen.lock
    /var/mail/ellen

She doesn't even get her own hammie.db file.

Ellen's never once complained about spam.  I'll have to ask her if she ever
sees any.

Skip