[spambayes-dev] RE: [Python-Dev] RE: [Spambayes] Question (orpossibly a bug report)

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Jul 27 16:19:46 EDT 2003

> "Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> writes:
>
> > At least Win32's *native* notions of locale are  settable on a
> > per-thread basis; C's notion is a global hammer; it's unclear
> to me why MS's
> > code is even touching C's notion.
>
> Because they want a locale-aware atof(), and there is no equivalent
> API function that uses the thread locale?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Because MS has not much in the way of coding standards and if someone felt
like using C's locale settings in preference to MS's locale notions, there's
nothing to stop him/her, nor much in the way of code quality control to
catch it ("If it works, ship it!"). (This represents a view of MS about 2
years old, so it could have changed - but it was the norm for the several
times and several groups over about 5 years that I contracted there.)

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA