[spambayes-dev] Making the FAQ

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Jul 31 17:41:06 EDT 2003

> You said it was emitting all the instructions.  That suggests
> it's not a make problem.  Make's job is to fire off the
> correct programs in the correct order.  You indicated that it
> did that.

Ok, now I've figured out what it does.  I should have probably done this
first :)  I ran the html.py faq.txt | sed ... command manually and
looked at the files.

The >> at the end of that command *appends* onto the end of faq.ht, so
faq.ht ends up having the original copy and then a new copy.  When the
html file is made, it also is a whole heap of html files all appended
together.  The browser, of course, stops after the first </html>.

This is the correct behaviour for >>, isn't it?  Shouldn't the makefile
then be deleting the faq.ht file before recreating it?

Again, does it actually work for anyone else?

Thanks,
Tony Meyer