[spambayes-dev] Version information repository

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jun 6 15:00:53 EDT 2003

I have just checked in spambayes/Version.py, as a simple repository for
version information.  It is a trivial little file, mainly consisting of a
single dictionary:

versions = {
    # Non app specific - changed when "spambayes\*" changes significantly
    "Version":          0.1,
    "Description":      "SpamBayes Beta1",
    "Date":             "June 2003",
    "Full Description": "%(Description)s, version %(Version)s (%(Date)s)",
    # Sub-dict for application specific version strings.
    "Apps": {
        "Outlook" : {
            "Version":          0.3,
            "BinaryVersion":    003,
            "Description":      "SpamBayes Outlook Addin Beta1",
            "Date":             "June 2003",
            "Full Description": "%(Description)s, version %(Version)s
(%(Date)s)",
            "Full Description Binary":
                                "%(Description)s, Binary version
%(BinaryVersion)s (%(Date)s)",
        },
    },
}

There are really 2 reasons for this mail:
* To let you know it exists, and should be updated before releases.  See the
module for a couple of handy functions you may like to use to print the
version of your app.

* To get feedback on the specific version numbers.  We are moving towards
Beta1, and a version of 0.1 seems reasonable (whereas presumably 0.02 would
have been used for alpha 2.  However, I am open to anything, really.  I have
the core engine dated as "June 2003" which isn't really correct either (as I
recall no significant changes there for at least a month) but I think it is
good enough to get started.

Mark.