[spambayes-dev] Version information repository

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Jun 8 18:49:30 EDT 2003

[Meyer, Tony]
> I was waiting for a comment like this ;)  In the Python world, what's
> the difference between alpha & beta?  Is it purely a stability
> difference, or does 'feature completion' come into it as well?

Historically, yes:  nothing is guaranteed to remain the same across alpha
releases.  When a beta comes out, it comes with a promise that APIs are
frozen, unless a catastrophic bug is discovered that requires changing them.
New features can be snuck into a beta too, provided they don't change
behavior of existing features.  The next level after beta is "release
candidate", to which only pure bugfixes can be applied.

That works well for Python, but we're not constrained by it here.  In the
absence of a better idea, I prefer to stick to it, though.