[spambayes-dev] Version information repository

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Jun 8 22:55:53 EDT 2003

    Tony> [Skip]
    >> I think the POP3Proxy is sufficiently well-tested to be
    >> considered beta unless you have some significant known issues
    >> which are unresolved.

    Tony> I was waiting for a comment like this ;) In the Python world,
    Tony> what's the difference between alpha & beta?  Is it purely a
    Tony> stability difference, or does 'feature completion' come into it as
    Tony> well?

Generally speaking, both feature completion and stability affect the
transition from alpha to beta.  In my experience with Python, it seems that
the alpha-to-beta transition can get held up waiting for some expected
functionality to arrive.  Once in beta it's much less frequent to see any
new functionality, only bug fixes.  If the bad message problem is a general
Spambayes problem and the functionality is complete, I would say that
pop3proxy can go to beta.  Since you do have several bits which are
considered still in alpha, a 1.0a3 release for Spambayes package as a whole
would be prudent.

Skip