[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Spambayes 1.0a7 - windows proxy_tray installation

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:22:18 EST 2003

Phil Pierotti wrote:
> [mebbe I didn't install something the way it was expecting]
> But what I see is that under the distribution, there's
>     windows\pop3proxy_*.py ("the scripts")
>     windows\resources\ (with all the .ico etc resources for the
> systray program)
>
> The scripts are installed under
>     \Python23\Scripts
> by setuup.py, but there's no corresponding
>     \Python23\windows\resources\
> with all the icon/resources
>
> So:
>
> (a) did I not install something properly
> (b) dd the installer not install the resources properly
> (c) are the paths in the script wrong
> (d) all of the above
> (e) none of the above, I'm just smoking too much crack (as per usual)

Looks like you hit the nail right on the head.  Glad I finished reading
my inbox before replying to your previous message <wink>.

At some point in the not-too-distant past, a decision was made that the
Windows scripts pop3proxy_service.py and pop3proxy_tray.py should be
installed to the Python Scripts directory along with the other
command-line scripts.  It seems this was a bit premature, as
pop3proxy_tray obviously isn't designed to be run that way.  When run
from source, the icon resources are required to be present in a
directory structure that isn't appropriate for installing into the main
Python directory.

For now, you should be able to get around this problem by going to the
windows dir in your original source tree and running pop3proxy_tray.py
from there.  I've CC'd the spambayes-dev list in hopes that someone can
take a look at this.  At the very least, we should probably stop copying
it to the Python\Scripts directory until the problem is fixed.

--
Kenny Pitt