[spambayes-dev] OptionsClass.is_valid too picky?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Nov 6 17:02:25 EST 2003

I run SpamBayes on a couple machines filtering scoring mail for several
email addresses which eventually find their way to my mailbox.  I'd like to
stuff the hostname into the score somehow.  My first attempt was

    classification_header_name: X-Spambayes-Classification: titan

This failed with this error:

    Attempted to set [Headers] classification_header_name with invalid value ...

Without considering it further, I then tried:

    header_spam_string: titan: spam
    header_ham_string: titan: ham

This also failed.  Next, I tried

    header_spam_string: titan:spam
    header_ham_string: titan:ham

    header_spam_string: titan-spam
    header_ham_string: titan-ham

which finally worked.  It looks to me like OptionsClass.HEADER_VALUE is too
restrictive, but I'll leave it for the author of that code to decide whether
or not to loosen it up.