[spambayes-dev] Who can explain this?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Nov 16 21:43:52 EST 2003

> Racking my brain trying to figure out just what persistent
> storage file I was using (because sometimes it seemed to use
> ~/hammie.db and sometimes ~/.hammiedb), I came across this in
> sb_filter.py:
[...]
> Can we just rip this hack out and let the user's options file
> dictate things?

This is my bad from some time ago.  +1 to getting rid of it.

I'm not sure that 'hammie.db' is the best default for the option, though.
For one it can lead to lots of hammie.db files being created, depending on
what the cwd is at the time spambayes is run.  For another, it's nice to
default to having the personal files separated out from the application
ones.

os.path.expanduser("~/.hammiedb") works nicely enough on WinXP - does it
work happily with other Windows flavours and with pre-OSX Macs?  (I presume
OSX is fine).  Personally, I like that more as a default (although I suppose
if the default is to be changed, the 'hammie' name could also be dropped).

FWIW, these days, Windows users with Mark's extensions, for which spambayes
can't find a database, get one created in (effectively) ~/Application
Data/SpamBayes/Proxy), if memory serves me correctly.  (Called
statistics_database.db, I think).

=Tony Meyer