[spambayes-dev] A spectacular false positive

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Nov 17 16:08:44 EST 2003

    >> Here's something I think would be interesting.  At the moment I have
    >> about 40 unsures awaiting a decision from me (train or discard).  I'm
    >> trying conciously to be conservative.  What I'd like to know is which
    >> message, if added to my training database, would have the greatest
    >> effect on the scores of the other unsure messages.  That would help
    >> me decide which ones yield the most benefit.

    Alex> I tend to think that you're over-optimizing... many times over,
    Alex> this project has shown that stupid beats smart.

Agreed, but we're in more-or-less uncharted territory here.  We all know
that testing strategies haven't received nearly the attention that the basic
algorithm has.  My unsures are dominated by spams at the moment.  I'm just
experimenting with this stuff and trying to be careful about getting my
ham/spam ratio too out-of-whack.

Skip